Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hair trigger

There are few days when my anxiety isn't an issue at some point. There are many days when I am able to push through it. I'm able to deal with it better than I used to, for the most part. There are still some days, though, when triggers still catch me off-guard. Using the example of the party a couple of weeks ago, I'll list all the triggers I can think of that I encountered that day.
  • Bright sunlight 
  • Constant noise/chatter
  • Unfamiliar environment
  • Unfamiliar people
  • Kids (feeling like I have to censor myself)
  • Expectations not met; feeling awkward
  • Drunk people talking shit
  • Claustrophobia (large group of people in a small place)
  • Feeling trapped (Matt was otherwise occupied and could not 'rescue' me)
  • Music that reminded me of high school (?)
There wasn't really anywhere to have a quiet lie-down, and the more I thought about that, the worse it got. Aside from the party, I've had some other near-misses with panic over the last few days. Triggers included:
  • Gastrointestinal upset (both a trigger and a symptom)
  • Feeling alone and vulnerable at home with Matt on a business trip
  • Allergies (Yes, allergies trigger panic because they make it hard to breathe)
  • Mother's Day in general (not being a mother, having issues with my own mother, etc.)
  • Being afraid of possible side effects from meds
Since my therapist only wanted me to list the triggers, I'm stopping here for now. This is probably more than we can even talk about in one or two sessions. Suffice to say, I have a lot of triggers. Sometimes they're present but don't get pulled, and sometimes even the slightest thing can set me off. I'd like to have more consistency and control in terms of my anxiety, so knowing what these triggers are is essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment