Wednesday, April 10, 2013

New med

This is day three on gabapentin (Neurontin.) After many months of trying to get an appointment with a psychiatrist, I finally saw my new doctor on Monday. I'd done my research on gabapentin and thought that it might help me on multiple fronts, but it's off-label for bipolar disorder. So, I was pleasantly surprised when my doctor suggested it. Since I am notoriously sensitive to medications, I am on a low dose: 100 mg three times daily, in addition to the same dose of escitalopram (Lexapro) I have been on for years.

Because I do research drugs that I'm prescribed, or may be prescribed, I have heard the horror stories. The ones for gabapentin read pretty much like any drug. "Drug X is terrible! It gave me headaches and diarrhoea and back pain and hives and my feet swelled up and I had the urge to eat my baby!" That's because most people who go online and write about prescribed drugs are the ones it doesn't work for, and there is usually no information on what their diagnostic history is or what other drugs they may be taking. So I take note of all of that and file it away, but I stick to peer-reviewed research for the facts. I actually found a study that seemed to indicate that gabapentin is more likely to be effective as a mood stabiliser in people with co-morbid bipolar and panic disorder. Hi! That's me! 

Gabapentin has the potential, at the proper dose, to ease pain, regulate my moods, and help with anxiety. If it does even one of those things in the long-term, I will be ecstatic. I think that, due to my sensitivity, it will take some time to adjust to it. I feel a bit "fuzzy" on it, so far. I've had a mild headache, too, but I can't rule out allergies as a cause for that, since spring has suddenly exploded in central Ohio over the last three days. It's too early to tell if it's affecting my moods, especially since some recent events have triggered some volatile emotions. I have, however, experienced a decrease in pain. A friend massaged my shoulders last night, and for the first time in many years, I was able to tolerate pressure on my trigger points. Colour me flabbergasted. Nothing, not even narcotics, has had any affect on that before. So here's hoping this trend continues. It would be nice for something to work for once!



No comments:

Post a Comment